Friday 18 June 2010

"Winners do what losers don't want to do."

"Winners do what losers don't want to do."

I read this today and it struck a chord.

The loser in me wants to spend £2000+ on building a wall out the front of my property with the wonderful reclaimed stone we were given for nothing. The winner in me knows when you've got one foot in the financial grave and you nearly didn't make all your payments this month you don't continue to dig by spending out £2000 plus on a wall.

The property crash has resulted in the house dropping in value. Add to that it is an ex-council house with restrictive covenants so it doesn't rise in value at the same pace as others. There is a ceiling price. We don't think we'll get the money back if we built the wall, and we're looking to move in the next few years to downsize and release a chunk of equity to reduce the mortgage.

We've told the neighbours about us building the wall so now we'll look like idiots.

We've told our families about building the wall so now we'll look like idiots.

My pride is stinging. But I'll get over that. It will do me good to have a dose of humility. What I'm having problems with is our families.

Our parents have been attempting to force the money on us as loans but we've refused because even though there is no interest rate with them we'll still have to pay them back. None of them seem to understand or respect our decision, and I'm finding it tough now to carry on keeping a brave face in front of the onslaught of their very vocal opinions. My father told me yesterday if he were a neighbour he would have put in a complaint about the stone on the drive looking a mess. I guess that's his way of trying to force us to take the money and get it done quickly. Aren't family horrible? My sister doesn't seem to comprehend the link between spending money on a house and not getting it back. Every time we try and explain they poo-poo what we're saying and come up with reasons why we shouldn't.

I'm struggling. I really don't like my family very much. They want to make me a loser.

The stone has to go. I'm ringing a reclaim yard today to get it gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment