Tuesday 22 June 2010

Reflections on work

It's very, very early and I'm sitting here trying to get my head round the fact I'm going back to work again. Part of me is disappointed, but part of me is very proud. I'm getting my act together and doing what's best for my family, for me and hubby. I'm injecting a nice solid £16k into my annual pre-tax income and that is nothing to be sniffed at.

I can't help thinking though that part of reason why I've had to go back to work is a scarcity mentality on my part. I've realised I've been charging less than I should have been and that has created a snowball effect and attracted clients with less money to me, so now I have to run faster on the wheel just to keep up with where I used to be. Instead I should have knocked back the low paid work and let my writing speak for itself. In fact, really this job has been taken because of a scarcity mentality on my part. Should I have held out for a full-time contract in London that would have paid me more? Yes I think I should have. I took this because I was worried I wouldn't have any money, and the low annual pay could come back and bite me in the butt. The jobs in London would have given me an annual salary of up to £47k. Mind you that is paying me for my six years science training. This job is £27k pro-rata and really doesn't use much of my science background at all, so maybe it will work out in the end.

Anyway shortly I'll go in the kitchen, get lunch our lunches together, and start to get ready to head out the door by 5:30am. I will be without my laptop for three hours while I sit in the car at hubby's work so it will give me some time to reflect on what I'm doing and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment